1. The proper use of the campus network and the
violation of such use (including its related penalty, if any) are governed by
the “Policy on Use of IT Services and Facilities", “Information Security
Policies and Standards”, the JUCC’s “HARNET Acceptable Use Policy” and additional regulations defined in this
1. All users with access to the campus IT network are subject
to regulations defined in this document.
1. Users must not attempt to disrupt or degrade the performance
of host systems, any device on the network, or any IT service delivered over
2. Loopholes in network security systems or knowledge
of special passwords etc. must not be used to gain access to any service or any
resource on the network for which proper authorisation has not been given by Central IT.
3. Users who are aware of any problems on network
security should report such to the CSC Help Desk.
4. Users must not create or distribute malicious
software codes on the network, and should take all reasonable precautions to
prevent such actions.
5. Users must not connect or disconnect networking
equipment (e.g. bridges, routers, repeaters, protocol analysers, data loggers,
transceivers, Wireless LAN device, etc.) to or from the campus network without
proper authorisation from Central IT.
All network changes made by departments to the campus network, including
the information of the administrators involved and/or users affected (if
applicable), need registration and/or updates, as appropriate, with Central IT.
6. Users must not conduct network experiments on the campus network such as demonstrating network
vulnerabilities, sniffing network traffic, generating network traffic which
will lead to depletion of its available bandwidth, or setting up phishing sites,
etc. unless proper authorisation has been given by Central IT.
7. All computers directly reachable from the Internet
or Intranet (i.e. not connected to a private or standalone network) must use
only those IP addresses/node names/domain
names that are approved by Central IT in order to avoid conflicts which might result in
disruption of normal operation of the campus network. Please refer to the "IP address
registration" and "Domain Name System
Policy and Guidelines".
8. Users must register in advance with Central IT (a) for any network server or
communication link installed on campus through which the IT service, accessible
by remote user, is offered, or (b) for any IT service that is offered to staff
and students but hosted by external service providers.
9. Without prior approval from Central IT, users must not perform network scanning or port
scanning on the campus network.
1. Failure to comply with any regulation defined in
this document may result in penalties as defined in the "Policy on Use of
IT Services and Facilities."
Terms and Definitions
1. A common set of terms and definitions used in the IT Policies and Regulations are defined
in the “Policy on Use of IT Services and Facilities” document.
Policies and Regulations
1. This document is only part of the Central IT’s IT Policies and Regulations. The “Policy on Use of IT Services and
Facilities” contains a complete list of other documents in the IT Policies and Regulations.
2. The IT
Policies and Regulations may be revised from time to time as necessary
without prior notice.
1. For questions about this document, please contact the Office of the Chief Information
Officer (OCIO) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUCC is the Joint University Computer
Centre Limited and the HARNET Acceptable Use Policy can be found at http://www.jucc.edu.hk/harnet.html.