The winners of the University Floral Emblem Photo Contest were announced at the award presentation ceremony. (From left: Mr Lam Choi-chun, Lai Pak-to, Xiao Zhimeng (representative of Luo Xuan), Lai Sze-man, Mr Siu Wai-hang, Professor Way Kuo, Mr Sunny Lee, Dr Tim Wong, Mr Yeung Sze-long, Yan Dan, Mr Ivan Lam)
The winners of the University Floral Emblem Photo Contest were announced at the award presentation ceremony held on 26 April. The contest had an overwhelming response. Over 1400 photo submissions from 386 students, staff and alumni were received.
The photography contest aims to encourage the CityU community to discover the beauty of the Brazil bougainvillea and promote CityU’s garden-like campus and admiration for nature.
The Brazil bougainvillea, which was selected as our floral emblem in 2016, is tough, highly resilient and blossoms throughout the year, strongly reflecting the University’s character and perfectly capturing the idea of growth and new life.
Officiating at the ceremony, Professor Way Kuo
, CityU President said the contest had been a great success in engaging the campus community. While appreciating the beauty of the flower, participants had got to know more about the characteristics of the plant.Mr Sunny Lee Wai-kwong
, Vice-President (Administration) and a member of the adjudication panel, said he was impressed by the variety of photos submitted. Photos included shots of CityU buildings, portraits, animals, food, night views and props, among others, illustrating the creativity and energy of the photographers.
The panel also included Mr Siu Wai-hang
, the School of Creative Media alumnus and lecturer in photography; Dr Tim Wong Chi-tim
, Director of Student Development Services; Dr Raymond Chan Kwok-hong
, Director of Communications and Public Relations; and Mr Sunny Wong San-yuen
, University Photographer.
The judging criteria included overall composition of the photos, photographic techniques, creativity and delivery of message.
The results of the contest are as follows:
- Winner: Lai Sze-man, undergraduate, Department of Public Policy
- 1st Runner-up: Mr Yeung Sze-long, alumnus, Bachelor of Science in Building programme
- 2nd Runner-up: Yan Dan, postgraduate student, Department of Media and Communication
- Merit awards:
- Lai Pak-to, undergraduate, College of Business (Winner of the Most Likes Award)
- Luo Xuan, postgraduate student, Department of Chinese and History
- Mr Sze Wang, alumnus, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology programme
- Mr Lam Choi-chun, staff, Office of Vice-President (Development and External Relations)
- Mr Ivan Lam, staff, Institutional Research Office
For details please refer to the contest website: http://www.cityu.edu.hk/cpro/floralemblem/
Guests and winners at the University Floral Emblem Photo Contest award presentation ceremony.